Via Bruno Buozzi is the carriageway leading to the Sasso Caveoso, built in 1934, over a small ravine which had collected rain water from the hills around the city, known as the Grabiglione - a beautifully onomatopoeic name suggestive of the tumultuous rushing of waters, across which little bridges connecting the city district of the Sasso Caveoso with the furthest reaches of the Malve and Casalnuovo districts had been built.
The road drops steeply down, with buildings of all manner of different architectural shapes along each side. These buildings look strangely in keeping with the geological line of the rocks, presenting a singular view of C17th to C19th architectural detail, the sum total of which is a harmonious symbiotic fusion of man and nature.
There are steps left and right, that whet one’s appetite for brief forays into suggestive nooks such as the traditional vicinati or neighbourhoods, which were the architectural and social nuclei of the ancient Sassi districts, with their ancient primary functions of group living. They made up a sort of “horizontal” condominium with a shared open courtyard into which ten or so front doors opened and where the tank that collected rainwater for collective use was located. Very close-knit social relationships were often formed in these neighbourhoods, through the traditional role of the comparizio (the godfather or sponsor at various religious ceremonies such as baptisms, confirmations and weddings). In the past, in fact, given that there were virtually no State institutions, the only means of social tutelage was the great solidarity that grew up among the families of each neighbourhood who, despite not being blood relatives, nevertheless lived as one great extended family.