The Church of the Madonna del Carmine 1608-1610, originally belonged to the pre-existent Convent of the Carmelite Order: an order with its roots in the mid-C12th when a crusade from Calabria retreated to a hermitage on Mount Carmel. Pope Honorious III approved it as a mendicant order in 1224, under the name of Our Lady of Mount Carmel or of the Carmine. The religious community later abandoned the convent and the building became incorporated into the Seminary.
There are three symmetrical niches on the front: the Madonna del Carmine at the centre with St. Nicholas on the left and St. Philip Neri on the right. The latter was a disciple of Savonarola and founder of the Congregation of the Oratorio, whose “spiritual exercises” were full of pedagogical and psychological insight, and who was known as the “Roman Apostle” because of his charitable nature and his zeal. There are carvings of the Allegories of Justice, Fortitude, Temperance and Prudence on the wooden door.