Via Ridola

Via Ridola is part of the C18th backbone of the city of Matera, inasmuch as it was the first district to be built on the city plain in 1700, and therefore not part of the Sassi or of the Civita.  It was thus known locally as the Case Nuove or “new houses” (on the right, going towards Palazzo Lanfranchi) built by Archbishop Antonio Del Ryos for the staff of the Seminary which, according to the dictates of the Council of Trent, was a prerequisite in every diocese (the present Palazzo Lanfranchi was completed in 1672), as well as a church and a hospital.  The urban plan of the street remains largely intact, and the fine buildings on either side are C18th and C19th.